Sunday is the busiest day of the week for me. I wake earlier than any other day to set up my classroom for Sunday school before choir practice starts at 8am. It's these days (oh, who am I kidding, it's everyday!) that I relish using my crock pot to get dinner prepared and not have to think about it. This past Sunday, we had my in-laws and my husband's uncle over for dinner so having the ability to make a lot of food in the morning, without having to check on it all day was a plus as I scurried around making the house presentable. I happened upon this recipe in the Fix in and Forget it Big Cookbook, as I do periodically in order to try fresh ideas, I randomly opened to a page in the book and made what was on that page. I opened to Reuben Chicken Casserole and it was a winner. Leftovers were equally delicious last night.
In a second crock pot I made something called Just Peachy, from the same cookbook, which was an easy cobbler type recipe. I had my mother-in-law bring vanilla ice cream to top this with and we stored it outside during dinner since I was running out of freezer space and it was colder outside than it was in my freezer! Both recipes follow. Enjoy!
Reuben Chicken Casserole adapted from Fix it and Forget it Big Cookbook
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4-6 hours on LOW
2- 15 oz. cans sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and slightly squeezed to remove excess moisture, divided
1 cup Russian salad dressing, divided
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, divided
3 Tbls. dijon mustard, divided
1. Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place half the sauerkraut in the slow cooker. Drizzle with 1/3 cup Russian dressing.
3. Top with 4 chicken breast halves. Spread half the mustard on top of the chicken.
4. Top in order with remaining sauerkraut, another 1/3 Russian dressing, the remaining chicken and the remaining mustard. (save the remaining dressing for serving)
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
6. To serve, place a breast half on each plate. Divide the sauerkraut over the chicken. Top each with a drizzle of the remaining dressing.
Just Peachy adapted from Fix it and Forget it Big Cookbook
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 2-3 minutes
Cook time: 4-6 hours on LOW
4 cups sliced canned peaches, drained, reserve juice
2/3 cup rolled dry oats
1/3 cup all-purpose baking mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup reserved peach juice
1. Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place drained peaches in slow cooker.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. When blended, stir in 1/2 cup reserved peach juice until well mixed.
4. Pour batter into slow cooker and stir into peaches.
5. Cover and cook on LOW 4-6 hours.
6. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.